I have a passion for what I do. And, what do I do you will ask? I live at the intersection of AI and it’s field applications. At the moment I research (Marie Sklodowska Curie fello) on model monitoring for performance and AI alignment (ethics, political philosophy and law). I also provide advisory support on applied skills at the Alan Turing Institute.
I am very fortunate to have been able to pursue these passions at world-class research and public institutions.
I currently am a Marie Curie Research Fellow and Ph.D. Candidate in the NoBias European Innovative Training Network.
- How to Data in Datathons. NeurIPS'23. Carlos Mougan, Richard Plant, Clare Teng, Marya Bazzi, Alvaro Cabregas Ejea, Ryan Sze-Yin Chan, David Salvador Jasin, Martin Stoffel, Kirstie Jane Whitaker, and Jules Manser.
- Monitoring Model Deterioration with Explainable Uncertainty Estimation via Non-parametric Bootstrap AAAI'23. Carlos Mougan and Dan Saattrup Nielsen.
- Fairness Implications of Encoding Protected Categorical Attributes. AIES'23. Carlos Mougan, Jose Alvarez, Salvatore Ruggieri, and Ste en Staab.
- Beyond Demographic Parity: Redefining Equal Treatment.</em> Workshop on AI Meets Moral Philosophy and Moral Psychology. NeurIPS'23.
- Explanation Shift: Detecting Distribution Shifts on Tabular Data via the Explanation Space. In NeurIPS 2022 Workshop on Distribution Shifts. Carlos Mougan, Klaus Broelemann, Gjergji Kasneci, Thanassis Tiropanis, and Ste en Staab.
- Carlos Mougan, Georgios Kanellos, and Thomas Gottron. Desiderata for Explainable AI in Statistical Production Systems of the European Central Bank. ECML PKDD 2021, Workshop
- Quantile Encoder: Tackling High Cardinality Categorical Features in Regression Problems. MDAI'21 Carlos Mougan, David Masip, Jordi Nin, and Oriol Pujol..
In the past I have been
- BBC: Visiting Researcher
- Schufa: Visiting Researcher
- University of Pisa: Visiting Researcher
- European Central Bank: Statistician - Data Scientist
- Barcelona SuperComputing Center: Research Assistant (Msc)
- IIIA - CSIC: Research Assistant (Msc)
- Deloitte: Robotics Consultant
- Towards Data Science: Editor Associated
- Data Science For Social Good and World Resources Institute: Project Scoper/Manager
Machine Learning Achievements
- Top 2 of 2020 at Data Science Stack Exchange
- 1st Boston Consulting Group Gamma Datathon
- 1st Novartis Datathon 2021
- 1st at SpainML
- Bronze Medal at Kaggle IEEE-CIS Fraud Detection